So you see a piece on Marketplace, and you just HAVE to have it!  You’re SO excited, you message the seller immediately, and off you go.  Now listen, I look my pieces over VERY well before buying them.  Even if something is a good deal in pictures, the actual piece can be MUCH different.  While that wasn’t the case with this piece (it was gorgeous), I didn’t look it over as well as I should have.  Truth be told, if I would have seen this issue, I would have bought it anyway.  As a matter of fact, I didn’t even see it until I’d had it for a while!  I was THAT smitten by it.

It comes up in the rotation, and I begin my prep.  Then I find the missing piece of trim, ughh.  I REALLY thought ‘No big deal, I’m painting it, so I’ll just find the same trim and replace it.’  The search began. I removed what was remaining on that side, for reference, and left the shop, just knowing that I could go down to the local lumber yard and a brand new piece would be waiting for me.  THAT was a big negative, ghostrider.  I spent the next 2 weeks going to EVERY lumber yard in the area, specialty shops, and calling cabinet makers.  No luck.  So I get online, because you can find anything online right?  Nope. Taking the trim off all of the way around was very much not an option, so what was I supposed to do??  I made it.  In this blog post, I’ll show you how to replicate a piece of trim.

Needed supplies:

  • Cooking Spray
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Cornstarch if using Paper Clay or Modeling Material
  • Paper Clay or Modeling Material, OR Bondo, or 10 minute Resin.
  • Wood Glue
  • Tape

 

 

Because it was just a broken piece of a longer trim piece, and I’d already taken the rest of that piece off, that’s what I used to make my mould.  So I laid it flat on my work surface to begin.  Note: Sometimes you cannot take a matching piece off, and that’s ok.  You’ll just follow these steps while it’s still attached to your piece.

 

 

I sprayed the piece with the cooking spray.  This keeps your hot glue from sticking to the piece you’re making a mould from. Next, I took my hot glue gun and covered the entire piece with hot glue.  Get it on there really well.  Make sure the glue is super hot.  If you need to take a break to allow the glue to get really hot, do it.  I went through about 3 glue sticks making a mould that was long enough to fit in.  Let it cool completely.

 

Once it’s cool you can peel it right off, and voila!  You have a mould. 

     

Now back when I did this piece, the Amazing Cast 10 minute Resin really wasn’t widely used in moulds.  If I were doing this today, I would have saved a bunch of time and just used that.  This was such a thin piece of trim, and I didn’t want to mess with trying to get Bondo in there evenly, so I opted to use Paper Clay. This is the paper clay I use and you can pretty much get it at any hobby/craft store, or online at Amazon.

When using paper clay in any mould, it’s important that you lightly dust it with something like cornstarch.  This greatly helps you when it comes time to pull it out of the mould.  So I filled my homemade mould, and after a few minutes I pulled my ‘new’ trim piece out and laid it flat.

I made sure it was the right length and then put it, and the original piece I pulled off, back on the piece.  When I put the ‘new’ piece on, I used Titebond Glue, and gently taped it into place while it dried.  Now friends, listen.  There’s this thing called gravity.  Even if this is taped into place it could shift a little. For most decorative moulds, a little shift is no big deal, but on a lineal piece of trim, it could be really bad.  I tapped a couple  of nails underneath the trim to keep it up.  Not too far into the wood or anything, but just enough to keep it from sliding down.  I’m easily distracted (squirrel!), so if you can just keep an eye on it, you’ll be good. 

Once it was dry, I took a high grit sanding sponge and cleaned up the edges.  Then I took a little wood filler to fill the transition from the actual trim and my replacement piece, as I didn’t want that seam to show.  Finally, I painted it, and you can’t even tell it was missing! 

And here she is… The finished product! I mixed Dixie Belle’s Mermaid Tail and Bunker Hill Blue.  You can find those here.  For the gold accents I used Re-Design with Prima Decor Wax in Eternal.  You can find that here.

Be sure to follow me on Facebook to get all my tips and tricks, and for notification when I post my next blog!

 

 

 

%d bloggers like this: